The Untangle software is free to download and it works on multiple platforms. But how do I know which download I need?
We're glad you asked.
The first consideration is how you plan to deliver the software onto the device you will be using.
- If you intend to install on an appliance with a CD/DVD drive - download the ISO formatted file
- If you intend to install in VMWare you have two options:
- download the OVA formatted file. This is pre-configured with an 80 GB drive. This is not the recommended option for larger environments.
- download the ISO formatted file. This gives you full control of hardware parameters in the VM.
- If you intend to install in a virtual environment other than VMWare - download the ISO formatted file
- If you intend to install on an ARM-based router like the Linksys WRT1900ACS - download the firmware files
For any other scenarios you would most likely be installing via bootable USB drive so want to download the IMG formatted file.
After selecting the type of file you then need to choose between 32- and 64-bit versions of the file. The major difference between these two is the amount of RAM you are planning to have in the Untangle system.
If you will have more than 4 GB of RAM, you need to use the 64-bit version. Otherwise the 32-bit will work fine.
When preparing for installation consideration should be given to the age of the hardware being used. Generally, newer hardware is preferred as it will last longer. Nearly all hardware produced after 2013 supports 64-bit operating systems. If you are unsure, look up the information for the motherboard and CPU you are using. Usually a quick Google search will tell you whether or not 64-bit architecture is supported.Follow