Table of Contents
Click an item to jump directly to that question.
- What is an SSL server certificate?
- What is an SSL certificate authority?
- Where do I install the SSL certificate?
- Can I use the same SSL certificate on different devices?
- I see TLS used in different places with SSL, is there a TLS certificate to install as well?
- How do I install a 3rd party security certificate?
1. What is an SSL server certificate?
An SSL certificate is a small data file that activates the HTTPS protocol and allows secure communication between a web server and browser.
2. What is an SSL certificate authority?
The certificate authority is who creates and issues the digital certificate.
3. Where do I install the SSL certificate?
The root certificate contains a self installer, that will place the certificate in the proper folder on windows platforms. Mac systems require the certificate to be placed into the keyring folder, to be identified by the system.
4. Can I use the same SSL certificate on different devices?
Only the root certificate can be used on multiple devices. The server certificate is tied to the server itself, and a new certificate will have to be generated for any additional servers. Or if the physical location of a server is changed.
5. I see TLS used in different places with SSL, is there a TLS certificate to install as well?
The short answer is, no. There is not a TLS certificate to install. The security certificate is not protocol dependent, and will secure your communications in the same way. So an SSL certificate in theory is a TLS certificate as well. The terminology may change in the future. But for the time being, just an SSL security certificate will be used.
6. How do I install a 3rd party security certificate?
Under the Config menu, you are able to upload a server certificate from a 3rd party for security purposes. Navigate to Config > Administration > Certificates and click on "Upload Server Certificate" in the lower left hand corner. Browse for your certificate file, and click Upload. This will install your SSL security certificate on your Untangle device. For additional details regarding this process review our wiki documentation found here.