Table of Contents
Click an item to jump directly to that question.
1. How do I download Untangle?
2. How do I create a bootable USB Drive on a Windows PC?
Once downloaded to your system, you'll need to create a bootable USB disk. The steps for accomplishing this and booting from the device are listed below, with a handy screenshot.
For Windows users:
- If you don't already have it, download Win32DiskImager.
- Insert your USB drive into your computer.
- Right click on your USB drive and format it using FAT32. This will erase all data on the drive!
- Launch Win32DiskImager and select the Untangle image file.
- Select the drive letter of your USB disk (be sure not to accidentally select your hard drive!).
- Click Write to write the image to the drive.
3. How do I boot from the USB Drive in Windows?
Once this is done, the USB drive will be a bootable device. To boot from the USB device, follow these steps:
- Turn on the computer.
- Plug in the USB drive.
- Turn off the computer with the USB drive attached.
- Turn on the computer again, and wait a few seconds before you see a screen that says BIOS . The BIOS screen only appears for a few seconds, so perform the next step quickly.
- Press the appropriate Function key to launch the BIOS setup program. Your computer uses one of several keys for launching the BIOS setup program, depending on the manufacturer. The F2 , F10 or Del key are commonly used for this. If you don't see on the screen which key to use, try these. Repeat steps 3-5 until you determine the key which launches the Bios setup program.
- In the BIOS setup program, select the Boot Sequence (or similar) menu option.
- Use the menu commands to promote the USB drive to position #1 and hard drive to #2.
- Save your changes by pressing the Esc key, then selecting Save.
This will force the PC to boot from the USB device, allowing Untangle to install its operating system and software packages.
4. How do I create a bootable USB Drive on a Mac/Apple OS X?
- First, you'll need an application like uNetBootin to create your bootable USB device (as the built-in Apple utility isn't 100% reliable).
- Insert the USB device into the computer and open Disk Utility from your Utilities folder, like in the screenshot below.
Once DiskUtility is open, select your USB disk and erase it with the MS-DOS (FAT) format, like this:
Click "Erase" to format the USB drive. Once it's done it will unmount and remount, and then will be ready for the next step in the process.
Now you'll open your bootable-device-writing application (like uNetbootin) to write your image. Within uNetbootin, select "Disk Image" (NOT "Distribution") then navigate to your downloaded IMG file. When everything is set, your options to create the bootable device should look more or less like this:
5. How do I boot from the USB Drive in Apple OS X?
Once it's finished writing, your USB drive will be a bootable device. To startup your Mac from the installed USB drive, follow these steps:
- Insert the bootable USB drive into the Mac
- Restart the computer - as soon as you hear the startup sound, press and hold the "C" key. This will boot from the device. More information is available at Apple's Support site.
- From there, the Untangle install wizard will launch. Follow the steps in the wizard to set up your Untangle. This page on our Wiki site is a good reference for installation tips.