With the upgrade to version 14.0, Untangle's NGFW now includes a new Linux kernel. This new kernel running in VMWare, in OVA installations only, causes the console to not work properly.
NOTE - Only OVA installations are affected. This does not affect Untangle installations using the ISO or IMG files.
NOTE - This issue does not impact management of the NGFW from a computer browser or via Command Center.
NOTE - All screen shots below were taken from ESXi 6.7.0 (Build 8169922).
In order to resolve the issue, you will need to complete the following steps.
- Shutdown the Untangle NGFW server in VMWare. We recommend a graceful shutdown of the NGFW via a web browser and the Shutdown option under Config > System > Support.
- In VMWare ESXi, create a snapshot of the virtual server. Select the Virtual Machine, then click Actions > Snapsots > Take snapshot.
- In ESXi, select the Virtual Machine, then click Actions > Upgrade VM Compatibility.
- A dialogue box will appear. We recommend selecting the most recent ESXi version.
- Click Yes to confirm the upgrade.
- Start the NGFW VM and change the kernel boot selection in grub to the first option (4.9.x).
- Once started, the Untangle should operate as expected.