How do I block Facebook & YouTube?
Blocking social networking sites can be difficult, so here are the things we suggest:
- Web Filter > Categories: block 'Social Networking' category
- Web Filter > Block Sites: create entries surrounded in asterisks; for example,
- Web Filter > Advanced: enable all three 'process HTTPS traffic by SNI' rules at the top of the page
- Application Control > Applications: tarpit all required services (for example, there are several Facebook entries)
- Application Control > Rules: enable default rule #2 ('block all HTTPS YouTube traffic') and create a similar entry for Facebook
As many social networking sites are encrypted via SSL, we do recommend installing and configuring SSL Inspector and ensuring the certificate is deployed to all client devices. (This will allow Web Filter to treat HTTPS sites as though they were HTTP sites.)
Here's our Web Filter FAQ, which may have some more useful information for you: https://support.untangle.com/hc/en-us/articles/221685768-Web-Filter-FAQ
Have more questions? Submit a request
Please sign in to leave a comment.