Please note: this article is only valid for Untangles running kernel 4.9 or higher. (How can I tell which kernel I'm using?)
1. Reboot the Untangle. To get into the Grub menu, start pressing the up arrow rapidly after reboot so that the menu doesn't disappear after 3 seconds.
Note: This procedure may not work over KVM as some keyboards may not be detected while editing GRUB.
2. Edit the GRUB boot options by selecting the version you want to use and press 'e' on the keyboard.
3. Use the arrow keys to move to the line starting with linux, highlighted here in yellow:
4. Add init=/bin/bash to the end of that line, then press Ctrl + X:
5. Use "mount -o remount,rw /" command to add read/write permissions to fresh mounted /:
6. Use "passwd" command to change root password. Ensure proper use of best practices for this password.
7. Use "exit" command to reboot system:
8. Once the system has come back up, click Terminal:
9. Log in with the new root password you created:
11. Reboot your Untangle once more.
12. Log into the client via the Launch Client button, then log in with the new credentials admin and passwd.Follow